Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Truly Memorable Birthday

As I alluded to in yesterday's post, Beijing isn't the same place we saw four years ago. It is like we saw Beijing before she put on her makeup and fancy dress for the party back in 2006 and boy, does she clean up nicely. Now everywhere you look you can see new cars, new roads, new buildings and even an extra sparkle to the older ones.

One place this was radically apparent was the Forbidden City. Last time, it was breathtaking, but there were so many areas closed off and scaffolding everywhere as it was being cleaned up and renovated for 2008. So, it was almost like we hadn't seen it before today. It was truly awe-inspiring, at least for me. Katie, on the other hand, was less than thrilled the entire trip this morning. Given that she was so great on the plane trips, we were due for a day of five year old, and she did deliver that with an epic pout at going out this morning that culminated in an operatic fit over having to wear a jacket we bought in a gift shop because I actually believed the weather reports I read and left the hotel without our jackets. Oops. Given that our trip started out at what normally would be her bedtime or later at home, I have to cut her some slack there. However, it would not surprise me at all if she someday brings up the wearing of the jacket in a future therapy session.


From the Forbidden City, we went to a jade factory, where we had a fantastic lunch. Our guide, Michael, managed to surprise me with one of the prettiest cakes I've ever seen and even the candle was entertaining. After being lit, it flamed spectacularly, then opened up into a multi-flame flower all while playing "Happy Birthday." Then, Michael brought me noodle soup, which he said is traditional on your birthday for long life. While I cannot attest to its effect on longevity, I can say that it was delicious!

After perusing the goods at the jade factory, we went on to the Great Wall., where Joe and Katie made it up to the third tower. Not bad for a five year old! I made it to the second tower, where I stopped given how the steps above there gave me vertigo last time and I had to scoot down many steps on my rear. In this day of easy You Tube access, I just didn't want to risk turning up on some shows "Funny Clip of the Day" or something this time.

We then went back to the hotel past the Olympic Park and then decided to forego heading down the street for some Peking Duck since we have to be packed and wheels up for Nanchang by 5 a.m. tomorrow. So, yet again, I went to Beijing and still haven't tried the duck. Next time, perhaps?

While much has changed about Beijing, a few things haven't. Air conditioning is still not a priority here, but on the bright side, I've got the windows open listening to the unique sounds of Beijing traffic below. I'm actually enjoying it a bit and believe me, it hasn't hindered us from sleeping one iota.

Another thing that hasn't changed are the vendors in Tiananmen Square. They still sell the same stuff they sold before. And my dear brother owes Joe a big thanks the next time he sees him because if I had my way, his Christmas present was going to be one of the Chairman Mao watches where his hands spin around. But Joe rolled his eyes and talked me out of it.

And to our compadres from our Nanning travel group, we thought of you today. (Well, we've thought of you often these last few weeks especially since you are some of the best travel mates we could ever have.) But we figured you would enjoy this old friend from our 2006 trip. My friends, this Wahaha is for you.

Next stop...Nanchang.


9 comments:

  1. Wow, what a day! What a great birthday cake! That was neat. I wouldn't worry about the duck. My Mom baked a duck once and it was memorable to me because it was greasy, dark meat. I didn't like it at all!
    I look forward to the next installment of the blog.
    Love you.
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margie.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And what a happy day itis!! This is so completely exciting and exhilerating for me....I cant imagine what is is for you! I thank God for this miraculous blessing....You have a beautiful home and family and it's about to be enriched (how can it get any better, right?) w/ little Betsy! I just watched the video from Katie Day and CRIED!!! How Beautiful! Well, thank you for blogging because the kids are very interested in this whole thing as well. Can't wait for Monday!!!! Oh yeah, that's the day Nicholas was born!!! Blessings...Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, friend!!! Oh, I'm lovin' these posts. You're making me long for our trip to China. I remember all the scaffolding in the Forbidden City. I can't wait to see China as you are describing it.

    Katie sure is a good traveler! I have to say, I laughed when I saw the picture of the three of you, with Katie's head burried. I can see Maya in the same situation and I don't think it would be pretty. Tell Katie were're very impressed that she climed that much of the Great Wall.

    We're thinking about you and very excited for you. Can't wait for your next post!!!!!

    ~Mary, Jason and Maya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Margaret! You look SOOOO happy in this picture! Glad your trip is going so well. You should have bought him the watch -- it would have been fun to watch HIS head spin around. ;- )

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!!! Thinking of you all the time and can't wait for the next leg of your trip. I hope Katie gets adjusted to the time soon and you guys have a smooth (as can be) first day with Betsy! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I am way jealous of your authentic Chinese long-life noodles (and super-cake!!) on your birthday! What a treat! I love reading people's travel sites as much to read about the food as the scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi all! So good to see ya'll at the Great Wall! Do you have her yet? It is about noon time in North Texas and about 2am sunday night in China. Well. . .???? I know we might not hear from you in a while with getting Betsy and the initial adjustments but we are thinking about you.
    Side note, OCDF is going out of business and selling those province books at $15 - do you want one from Jiangxi? I fear they might not have any left very very soon. Let me know and I will get one for you. :)) Valerie and Walter and Hayley and Tori

    ReplyDelete